Sunday, March 27, 2005

Can There Be Love In The Air?

Friend D posted the following at his blog based on the infrequent conversation he had with me. It just goes to show how little he knows me, and also confirms he will never be a candidate in my love life...
Saturday, March 26, 2005 (posted by Friend D)

Had a long conversation with B. Told her that she lives in her modern fairytales hoping for someone to love her online while I live in my old fairytales searching for my happily everafter...

How can anyone fall for another person over machines? If both would get together one day, are they going to remember their beautiful moments over the internet?

I can't recall any tales that a couple fall for each other who had never met before... The closest is Rapunzel's but even for Rapunzel's, after the prince heard her beautiful singing, he found her and climbed up her hair every night to meet her.


My Reflection

Friend D's comments actually strengthen, instead of weaken, my personal belief regarding online relationship. I would reply him as follows:

>she lives in her modern fairytales hoping for someone to love her online

Well, I am not "hoping for someone to love her (me) online". I know most guys would never fall in love with a gal online because they must meet her offline first (it's like seeing a 'product' first before purchase, no 'ordering' online....hehe). So be it... I am not desperate ya, never will be.

Yet someone just told me recently that he 'loved' me, though we have not met offline before. But we had already known each other for 1.5 years online. To me he is one of my good online friends, the longest of all. I never knew he has a liking for me. So it's kind of a surprise to me. I am not sure how to react. But I believe if that 'love' is true, it will be contagious...


>How can anyone fall for another person over machines? If both would get together one day, are they going to remember their beautiful moments over the internet?

Oh yes! I enjoyed my time spent with my online friends very much, both male and female friends. I have lots of nice memories and have learnt many things in the course of interactions, more than with my offline friends.

Indeed, we are living in a modern IT age now. Technologies have made this world we lived in a borderless world... a world with lesser and lesser boundaries. In reality, communication has become easier, faster and cheaper: people use email instead of letters, online conferences instead of traveling oversea just to have conferences.

I believe that falling in love, growing in love, and staying in love takes much time and communication between 2 persons. With our modern stressful work (and study) life, how can we afford the luxury of time for regular and close face to face communication between 2 persons? Without that, how can love and understanding grow and flourish? Therefore, for me, it will be near impossible to fall in love or grow in love with my offline friends.


>I can't recall any tales that a couple fall for each other who had never met before

Don't forget those were old 'tales'... no internet at that time, so of course they have to meet face to face to know each other. But we are living in the modern age now, not the 'fairytales' age.... haha

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11 March, 2007 15:48, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I can't recall any tales that a couple fall for each other who had never met before." this is not true... at least i'm a living example of falling in love before meeting up. my bf and I knew each other online. he fell in love before he saw me in person or my photo. it's not a modern fairy tale. i think it's better this way. you can see the inner beauty of the person before u see the outer packaging. cheers~

 
At 11 March, 2007 15:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

would someone choose to walk to China or would he/she take the plane? would a farmer still use his tools to sow seeds or would he use machinery? would a person drink boiled water taken from the tap or mineral/distilled water? would you write letters to someone or send an e-mail? it is afterall, a matter of preference, a choice, a means to something, better or effective ways or even desired or suitable ways for different individuals, perhaps?
moments to remember are accumulated as relationships grow. i sincerely hope that beautiful moments are limited to courting time only... going to bed each night knowing very well that the person who you're in love with is there, waking up each day and finding the person you're in love with lying next to you, walking along the streets holding the hand of the one you're in love, etc. general things in life you might say...? heh.. think again.

fairy tales of couple fall for each other who had never met before? hmm... frog and the princess? technically she saw him as something else, not as the prince he was... sleeping beauty? the prince did have to fight dragons and obstacles to rescue (and kiss to awaken) a girl which he hasn't seen before.

the internet bridges the distance gap to a certain extend but there are still issues of physical distance that needs to be overcomed for those love birds that stay thousands of miles apart. yet, love conqueors all... even distance.

azxel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home