Monday, November 21, 2005

When Romantic Feeling Is Gone

Has it ever happened to you that someone who loves you very much suddenly says he/she doesn't have anymore feeling for you? What would you do then?

I came across the following insightful article yesterday. Although it's more for married couples, I think they are useful for those who are in a relationship, or is wondering why their past relationships failed.

I shall share my thoughts on the author's replies and I hope to hear your views too...


The Love Doctor
Feeling unloved? Author and counselor Gary Chapman reveals a simple prescription that works wonders.
by Ron R. Lee


1. People generally get married because they can't bear the thought of not spending the rest of their lives together. If couples start out with so much passion, why does loving each other become such a challenge later on?
Part of it is that
when these strong emotions begin to die down, couples mistakenly think they don't love each other as much as they used to. They confuse emotions with love.

Bee:
Ah, that's an enlightenment, isn't it? Has the person we first grown to love changed for the worse? If not, the REASONS for that initial strong emotion remain, though the feeling might be lost.


2. But isn't love a pretty emotional thing?
Sure, but
love isn't dependent on emotions. Love is what you do and say, not what you feel.

Bee:
Hmmn... love is more than a feeling ya. So if your actions show that you care for a person, there is love even though sometimes the feeling is not there right?


3. Still, you have a problem if you no longer feel the same amount of love you used to. So what do you recommend?
We all need to do a better job of communicating love, which is a challenge since people usually marry their opposite. I've spoken to large groups of couples all around the country, and I've counseled hundreds of others. And in all the couples I've talked to, I have seldom run across a husband and wife who used and understood the same language of love.


Bee:
Erm... I don't quite get this part. Does it mean that if I have lost that romantic feeling for a person, I should continue doing things that will make that person KNOW I still love him... then my own romantic feeling will return later?


4. What makes people so different in the way they express love?
I don't know if it's something we learn in childhood or a trait we're born with. But
we all have a primary love language that shows up early in life. By the time your kids are five or six, you can begin to see how they express love. If your son is coming up and saying, "Oh, Mommy, let's sit down and read," then he's asking for quality time. Or if your daughter is always hugging you, her language is physical touch. It really doesn't matter how or when we develop a love language, the important thing is to identify what works for those you love, and then to start doing it.

Bee:
Good point. I guess this is why some gals do "so much" for the guys they loved, yet those guys could not appreciate them. I guess the gals have not "identify what works for those they love" and they just do what they themselves prefer to receive rather than what the guys prefer.


5. Why aren't more of us doing what works?
Most people express love in the way that comes most naturally to them, and we assume our mate recognizes those actions as expressions of love. But if our mate speaks a different language, most of the things we're doing just won't communicate. You end up with both spouses expressing love and wondering why the other one doesn't acknowledge it. At the same time, they're both wondering why their mate isn't doing any loving things for them.

Bee:
That's true, especially men and women have different make up. The things women like men to do for them to be considered love might not be what men like the women do... e.g. to the gal, receiving one love letter a day from a guy might be love, but if she do the same thing to him, it might not be interpreted as love.


6. What are the languages of love?
Based on case studies of the couples I have counseled over the years, certain themes are repeated. And those themes indicate that people give and receive love in
five different ways: sharing quality time; physical touch; expressing words of affirmation; giving and receiving gifts; and performing acts of service.

Bee:
Very true. :)


7. Can you give an example of each of these languages?
Let's start with
words of affirmation. It simply means making statements—either spoken or written—that show you value your spouse. Statements such as "You look nice today." "I love you." "Thanks for taking the garbage out." These are statements that focus on something your spouse has done or something he or she is.

The second language,
giving and receiving gifts, is pretty self-explanatory. You know the old saying "It's the thought that counts." But it's not the thought left in your head that counts, it's the gift that comae out of the thought. It doesn't have to be expensive; it can be anything that shows your spouse you had him or her in mind when you selected the gift.

Bee:
Good advice! "
Affirmation - simple assurance given to me can sweep away all my doubts instantly... it's very powerful for me.
Gifts - yes, simple cards or drawings given to me can mean so much.


8. What are examples of the other language?
Acts of service involve doing anything you know your spouse would like you to do. It could be cooking a meal, washing the dishes, vacuuming floors or putting gas in the car.

The fourth language is
quality time, which means giving your spouse your undivided attention. It could be sitting on the couch together, talking; going out to eat together; or taking a walk.

The last one,
physical touch, includes things like hugs, backrubs, holding hands and kissing. Some men jump to the conslusion that their love language is physical touch because they have such a strong sex drive. But I'm referring to nonsexual touch, like resting your hand on your spouse's leg while you're driving.

Bee:
True.
Quality time - time=life, giving part of one's time is giving part of one's life... it's love
Physical touch - some men insist that if a gal doesn't have sex with him, then she doesn't love him... quite lame right?


9. If a lot of guys wrongly assume their language is physical touch, does that mean it's not all that easy to identify your own love language?
If you give it some thought, you can pin it down. First, ask yourself how you tend to express love.
You may do all five from time to time. But if you think about it, you'll find one that is predominant.

The second clue is to
ask yourself, "What do I gripe about the most?" If you tend to complain "We don't ever spend any time together," then your love language probably is quality time.

The third question is:
"What do I request most frequently from my husband or wife?" If you often say, "Honey, remember to bring me something back from your business trip," you like to receive gifts. Put these three clues together and you'll determing your love language.

Bee:
Wow! Never know that. Although all the 5 languages of love are important to me, but I think the one that is "predominant" for me would be "words of affirmation" followed by "quality time". :)


10. Now to the hard part. How can we identify our spouses' love language?
You use the three-step process. You ask,
"How does my spouse express love to me most often?" Then, "What does my spouse request from me the most?" And finally, "What does my spouse complain about?" The answers will tell you your mate's language.

Bee:
Good questions... never thought of them before. :)


11. If both spouses have been feeling unloved, how does your approach help them get back on track?
It depends on why they are feeling distant. If there has been infidelity, physical abuse, alcoholism or drug abuse, you need to do a lot more than just learn a new way to express love. Those problems call for professional counseling. But if your problems are less serious,
learning to speak your mate's language will create a climate that makes it easier to work on other issues. Expressing love is not the whole solution, but it's a critical part of any solution.

Bee:
Hmmn... it seems to mean that you do it until the feelings come back? Ah... something like what Tommy shared recently from what he read, that if Christians "pretend to be Christ" they will gradually become more and more Christ-like... like a self-fulfilled prophecy.


12. If you've been feeling unloved, what would motivate you to learn a 'foreign language' just so you can love someone you felt isn't bothering to love you?
Motivation is important, but I never said this was easy. People have all kinds of reasons for not wanting to do this. They say "it's just not me." But there are a lot of things we don't like to do; and there are plenty of things that don't come naturally. But we learn to do them anyway.

One man told me he had been married 17 years and had never know how to show his wife he loved her. Then he realized her language was receiving gifts. But he didn't have the foggiest idea how to buy the right gifts. So he asked his sister to help him pick out some things for his wife.
This guy realized he needed to learn a new behavior, so he went out and found the help he needed.

Bee:
I see... so love is an act that sometimes go against our natural tendency ya... love conquers all!


13. What do you suggest for people who have trouble putting their feelings into words?
When people tell me, "I didn't grow up in a home where we did that sort of thing. I'm just not a verbal person," I often respond, "So what?" I know it's difficult, but you can learn to do it. Whenever you hear someone pay a compliment, for example, write it down. Or as you read books or magazie articles, pick out expressions of love and start making a list. Then
stand in front of a mirror and read your list out loud. After a while, it will begin to feel more comforable.

Then, of course, you start saying these things to your wife or husband. Once you do it a few times it becomes much easier.

I can hear people saying, "Gary Chapman is one to talk. He's a marriage expert. This stuff comes easily to him!"
The truth is, some of these things don't come easily for me. My wife, Karolyn, and I had terrible struggles the first few years of our marriage.
It's terrible to be married for three or four years and lose all your feelings of love for one another.

Bee:
Oh I like that! Practise what is not natural until it becomes part of you. :) I guess this advice is very useful as any loving married couples can also lose their romantic feelings along the way.


14. How did you rekindle your love?
I started studying the life of Jesus, and I saw how much of a servant he was to his followers. That's when the concept of a husband being a servant/leader began to dawn on me. I could see that when I failed to help Karolyn around the house, the climate wasn't very good at home. But whenever I did some little thing to help her, it made a positive impression. I didn't have all the theories worked out back then, but I realized my wife's love language was acts of service. After months of feeling totally unloved, she finally sensed that I did love her after all.

I'll be honest. I don't like running the vacuum. My mother made me do it when I was a boy, and I never have liked it.
But I vacuum the floors about once a week now, and there's only one reason why: I love Karolyn and I want her to know it. Every time I vacuum the floor, my wife realizes, "He cares. He's helping me."

Bee:
Oh I want to cry... if I am "Karolyn", I will KNOW too. It's so important to have a model in how we should live. In this case, the model is Jesus... God is love!


15. Vacuuming the floors is one thing, but what if your mate's language is meaningful time? In order for you to deliver on that one, you're going to have to give something up.
You've hit on
a key truth about love: It's costly. But if you're not willing to give something up, you're saying the things that currently take up your time are more important than your marriage. It's a matter of seeing marriage as a priority, and then deciding what you can give up. Actually, we make those decisions all the time. If we want to go to a ballgame, we give up the other things we could be doing with that time.

Bee:
True, loving someone is always "costly".... giving up part of ourselves for the good of "us", not just "me" or "you". Prioritizing and time management is so important in a relationship.


16. This stuff can feel pretty overwhelming. Is it okay to start off with something easy and then gradually work up to the bigger stuff?
Sure.
Even a small step will begin to change the emotional climate of a relationship. I encourage couples to start with a specific assignment that is relatively easy: Each spouse determines one way he or she can express love during the coming week. Let's say a woman's language is acts of service. She could ask her husband: "How about taking out the garbage without being reminded?" He'd say, "Okay. How often would you like me to do it?" And she'd say, "How about every two days?" He would then set that as his goal for the week.

He starts taking out the garbage, and every time his wife sees the emptied waste basket she feels a little tingle inside. "Hey, he's really taking this seriously." She begins to feel better immediately.


Bee:
So practical!


17. What does she do for her husband?
Let's say his language is physical touch, and she's just not very expressive in that way. He would ask her to do something nonthreatening. "How about when you enter or leave a room, you touch me on the shoulder as you walk by?" And she'd say, "I can do that." As the week goes by, every time she touches his shoulder, inside he feels, "She's really trying. This is wonderful." He begins to have positive feelings toward her after months of emotional distance.


Bee:
This is so cute! :P Good suggestion.


18. Does this approach always produce such positive results?
Usually, but not always. I can't guarantee that if you love your spouse, that he or she will reciprocate. But I can tell you that emotional love is a desperate need for all of us. So if you'll speak your mate's primary language over the long haul, there's a high probability he or she will respond.

Most people want an intimate relationship. They want to have a sense that, as a couple, they are one. They just don't know how to get it. That's why I spend so much time helping people learn their mate's love language. It's one way you can both get what you need in marriage.

Bee:
True, like what Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 says:

9 Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their work:

10 If one falls down,
his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls
and has no one to help him up!

11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?

12 Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 20 November, 2005 22:45, Blogger Richard said...

Ack! First Elvina and now you, Bee! What is it with these super long posts? Takes me hours to digest and comment on them.

Speaking form the perspective of a married man:

This is why I think love springs from friendship. We get to know the person better and are less distracted by the emotions (which blind us). For me, most people do lust first and hope that it is love.

Love is an emotion and it is about caring. See my blog The Opposite of Love is …?. But, I think most people confuse that nice warm chemical induced feeling (lust / desire) with love. (I say think, because I am not actually in other people’s heads and I find most people to be completely perplexing anyway.)

People communicate in different ways. My last marriage course lesson was on the 5 languages of love.

Everything needs work - even my love for my children. Trust me, when they start whining or refuse to give me peace, it is very stressful on the relationship. When I am tired and unable to give them the attention they need, it is hard on the relationship.

Love is not about closing your eyes and blissfully hoping everything works. Love is about having the eyes open and knowing the person and saying, “I can live and share and make my life with this person.”

As I've mentioned before, the three things I wanted in a wife were: (1) companion, (2) friend, (3) mother. If the woman did not fit all three criteria, then I could not fall in love with her.

Take care. Nice reflections. I am glad you found this article – it seems more coherent than my usual ramblings.

 
At 21 November, 2005 13:13, Blogger buzybee said...

Hi Richard, thank you for bearing with me in my super long article... u r very patient. :) Most of all, thanks for sharing from your personal experiences candidly... very helpful indeed, especially from a married man's perspective. :)

You said: "love springs from friendship. We get to know the person better and are less distracted by the emotions (which blind us). For me, most people do lust first and hope that it is love."

Agree. I also feel that the one we marry should be our best friend. If he/she isn't our best friend, the marriage will be in trouble. I guess the difference between "lust" and "love" is...
lust - you don't know the reasons or have no good reasons for being so passionate about him/her, you want to satisfy yourself
love - you know the reasons why you are so passionate about him/her, you want the best for him/her



You said: "Everything needs work - even my love for my children. Trust me, when they start whining or refuse to give me peace, it is very stressful on the relationship. When I am tired and unable to give them the attention they need, it is hard on the relationship."

Yes, in stressful moments the strength of the relationship shows. So how did work around it so that the relationship remains healthy?



You said: "Love is about having the eyes open and knowing the person and saying, “I can live and share and make my life with this person.”"

That's a positive statement! Just like what the Bible says, love "always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres" (1 Corinthians 13:7) It's a commitment for now and the future.



You said: "As I've mentioned before, the three things I wanted in a wife were: (1) companion, (2) friend, (3) mother. If the woman did not fit all three criteria, then I could not fall in love with her."

Wow! I like your simple yet profound criteria. But wouldn't most women fulfill these 3 criteria? How do you define them for yourself then? :)

 
At 21 November, 2005 16:18, Blogger stuart said...

This is a good article. But I think those suggestions by the author will only work if the couple is willing to work at the relationship. If one party is not willing then it will be very difficult to pratcice them.


Bee: Has the person we first grown to love changed for the worse? If not, the REASONS for that initial strong emotion remain, though the feeling might be lost.

So this is why most ladies always ask their bf/husband "why do you love me?" over and over again. They want to make sure that these men won't forget the reasons for loving them when their romantic feelings are gone due to stress or whatever reasons.

So guys, do you know why you love or like about your gf/wife? I think it's good to write down a long list of reasons during good time of a relationship (like Tommy's "101 Things I like about Bee"), so that when stress comes and feelings gone, the reasons keep the relationship intact till the feelings come back. =P


Bee: Does it mean that if I have lost that romantic feeling for a person, I should continue doing things that will make that person KNOW I still love him... then my own romantic feeling will return later?

Good question. Like what Richard mentioned, personal stress can affects relationship (friends, children, parent, bf/gf, spouses)... i.e. temporarily your feelings for these people might be gone because you are overcome by your own stress. But deep in your heart you actually know you still love them. So if you continue to do acts of love (though w/o feeling) the other party will response in love. You can surely feel that love response and slowly your own feelings will come back, Unless you are inhuman or is mentally unsound. *grin*


Bee: Physical touch - some men insist that if a gal doesn't have sex with him, then she doesn't love him... quite lame right?

Of course!


Bee: "Yes, in stressful moments the strength of the relationship shows."

Stress is a test of love. Who can't love a person when everything is fine with them? I would grow to love a person more if she continues to love me during stressful time. If my feeling for her is gone due to stress (not because of 3rd party) then it will return after after awhile.


Hope you are clearer now, Bee. :)

 
At 21 November, 2005 23:52, Blogger Richard said...

Bee wrote (asked actually): "I like your simple yet profound criteria. But wouldn't most women fulfill these 3 criteria? How do you define them for yourself then?"

I had no specific criteria, no checklist of things I was looking for, I just wanted someone who could match them.

It is much harder than it sounds. I disagree that most women would fit the criteria.

People can be a good friend, but don't necessarily make good a companion with which to share your life. A person might be a good friend and companion, but not a good parent. Basically, it boils down to looking for someone responsible and mature.

You have to ask yourself, "Can I live with this?" - because there is no changing people. Do they drink a bit too much? Maybe they are not intellectually oriented, or spiritually, maybe they want to travel around and not have any roots, maybe they are slightly selfish, or materialistic, or too ascetic, you want 12 kids, they wan 0, etc... I tried to understand all this about Sofia before I considered dating her (yes, I knew how many children she wanted before we started dating).

Nobody is perfect, but the bottom line is: can you live with this?

Bee wrote: "... in stressful moments the strength of the relationship shows. So how did work around it so that the relationship remains healthy?"

Make sure communication is good. Try to step back and objectify the stress as a common target for both of you, rather than targeting the stress at the person.

In my case a combination of being left alone and hugs is a good remedy.

I am not perfect. The Fall of 2004 was a particularily brutal period in my marriage as I sunk to the lowest point ever.

Apologies, perseverence, faith all play a part in maintaining a good relationship.

 
At 22 November, 2005 01:28, Blogger buzybee said...

Richard said: I had no specific criteria, no checklist of things I was looking for, I just wanted someone who could match them.

But you do have criteria... for you said "If the woman did not fit all three criteria, then I could not fall in love with her." So I am asking for your definition of these 3 "criteria". :)


Richard said: Try to step back and objectify the stress as a common target for both of you, rather than targeting the stress at the person... In my case a combination of being left alone and hugs is a good remedy.

Ah, that's a good one.... common 'enemy'. :) So how long do you need to be left alone to regain your composure?

Now u become like the 'expert'.. haha. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

 
At 22 November, 2005 02:01, Blogger buzybee said...

Stuart said: So this is why most ladies always ask their bf/husband "why do you love me?" over and over again. They want to make sure that these men won't forget the reasons for loving them when their romantic feelings are gone due to stress or whatever reasons.

hehe... so now u understand gals better right? :)

Stuart said: ...temporarily your feelings for these people might be gone because you are overcome by your own stress. But deep in your heart you actually know you still love them... If my feeling for her is gone due to stress (not because of 3rd party) then it will return after after awhile.

hey, that's very comforting! thanks for sharing. I hope all guys feel the way u do. :)


Gladys said: I think this is similar to why serious Christians must read the bible so that they won't forget what God wants them to do.

That's a good illustration. :) Even though we have read through the whole Bible, we still might forget what God said... so we still need to read what's written again and again. Thanks for sharing this point. :)

 
At 22 November, 2005 02:29, Blogger Richard said...

Bee, I can't tell you exactly what I was looking for besides those 3 general criteria.

Every person is different. Every person's qualities and characteristics come together differently.

It would be fairer to say that I arrived at falling in love by the Sherlock Holme's method: process of elimination.

It is easy to be attracted to a woman. I find most very pretty (or maybe I am just lucky enough to meet pretty women - who knows). A laughing and smiling person is always very attractive.

I first just focus on friendship. Then a simple process of elimination occurs. Usually it is fairly easy: she drinks too much, she has too many emotional scars, she is somewhat irresponsible, she is selfish, she is married, etc ...

As I said, I noticed Sofia during a walk in the park. Suddenly, I realized that she was the one I would like to be my mate. There was a level of comfort, of compatibility, or respect, of trust, or goodness that I liked and wanted.

Gentleness is another characteristic that I find very attractive.

Basically, if something bothers you about a person, then you should consider this to be an impediment. Trust me, once you are married, a whole lot of disagreements come out that you probably would not even give a second thought to if this was just a friend.

No one is perfect. I would have preferred someone who practiced the same religious tradition as me, I would have preferred someone who had an interest in science and technology, who liked science fiction, who shared more things in common with me. But, on the other hand, those things are fairly superficial. It is the ability to share a life together that is important. The ability and commitment to help one another grow and achieve the best that they can be.

How much time do I need to unwind? When I was in my dark period, I needed at least 2 to 3 hours by myself after work. I needed whole weekends to myself. And yes, this was a very hard period in our marriage, because all I wanted to do was to run away from everything. I had no energy to give to any relationships.

One other thought you might like on relationships is this: A relationship is not 50-50. It requires 100% commitment from both people all the time. There are many times when you or your partner will not be able to give 100%. Fortunately, there will be much overlap and the relationship will survive. When people think a relationship is 50-50, then they will have many days when one or the other, or both will be unable to give their 50% and a gulf will exist between the two.

Take care.

 
At 22 November, 2005 14:28, Blogger buzybee said...

Richard said: There was a level of comfort, of compatibility, or respect, of trust, or goodness that I liked and wanted... It is the ability to share a life together that is important. The ability and commitment to help one another grow and achieve the best that they can be.

Good points. Not many guys could see these points though... they tend to go for the superficial aspects you mentioned. Perhaps age and maturity of a man plays a part in this view.



Richard said: How much time do I need to unwind? When I was in my dark period, I needed at least 2 to 3 hours by myself after work. I needed whole weekends to myself. And yes, this was a very hard period in our marriage, because all I wanted to do was to run away from everything. I had no energy to give to any relationships.

Hey, Richard.. thanks for being so frank in sharing your experiences... very insightful indeed! I guess, respecting each other's privacy and space is very important in a relationship, before or after marriage. But I think, it can only be possible when both have mutual trust that is built overtime.



Richard said: A relationship is not 50-50. It requires 100% commitment from both people all the time. There are many times when you or your partner will not be able to give 100%. Fortunately, there will be much overlap and the relationship will survive. When people think a relationship is 50-50, then they will have many days when one or the other, or both will be unable to give their 50% and a gulf will exist between the two.

I find this sharing very practical and is a reality in life. If we expect things to be ideal all the time, then "gulf will exist between the two" sooner or later.


Thank you for sharing, Richard! I find your inputs enlightening and have solved some of my 'puzzles'. :D

God bless you!

 
At 22 November, 2005 23:28, Blogger Richard said...

Bee wrote: "I find your inputs enlightening and have solved some of my 'puzzles'."

And perhaps caused new ones? ;-)

Just remember, I am not a typical guy. Never have been, probably never will be. So my views and experiences reflect me, not guys in general.

Take care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home