Thursday, November 24, 2005

Understanding Men and Women (2)

"Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" by John Gray

Excerpt from Chapter 2
- explore how menʹs and womenʹs values are inherently different

page 15:

GIVE UP GIVING ADVICE

Without this insight into the nature of men, itʹs very easy for a woman unknowingly and unintentionally to hurt and offend the man she loves most.

To summarize the two most common mistakes we make in relationships:

1. A man tries to change a womanʹs feelings when she is upset by becoming Mr. Fix‐It and offering solutions to her problems that invalidate her feelings.

2. A woman tries to change a manʹs behavior when he makes mistakes by becoming the home‐improvements committee and offering unsolicited advice or criticism.



page 17:

IN DEFENSE OF MR. FIX‐IT AND THE HOME‐IMPROVEMENT COMMITTEE

In pointing out these two major mistakes I do not mean that everything is wrong with Mr. Fix‐It or the home‐improvement committee. These are very positive Martian and Venusian attributes. The mistakes are only in timing and approach.

A woman greatly appreciates Mr. Fix‐It, as long as he doesnʹt come out when she is upset. Men need to remember that when women seem upset and talk about problems is not the time to offer solutions; instead she needs to be heard, and gradually she will feel better on her own. She does not need to be fixed.

A man greatly appreciates the home‐improvement committee, as long as it is requested. Women need to remember that unsolicited advice or criticism especially if he has made a mistake, make him feel unloved and controlled. He needs her acceptance more than her advice, in order to learn from his mistakes. When a man feels that a woman is not trying to improve him, he is much more likely to ask for her feedback and advice.

Understanding these differences makes it easier to respect our partnerʹs sensitivities and be more supportive. In addition we recognize that when our partner resists us it is probably because we have made a mistake in our timing or approch. Letʹs explore this in greater detail.


page 21:

If you are a woman, I suggest that for the next week practice restraining from giving any unsolicited advice or criticism. The men in your life not only will appreciate it but also will be more attentive and responsive to you.

If you are a man, I suggest that for the next week you practice listening whenever a woman speaks, with the sole intention of respectfully understanding what she is going through. Practice biting your tongue whenever you get the urge to offer a solution or change how she is feeling. You will be surprised when you experience how much she appreciates you.


... to be continued

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 24 November, 2005 03:28, Blogger Richard said...

The key here is listening.

However, I appreciate a woman offering advice (as long as it is sensible and constructive and leads to discussion). What I hate most is just somebody who passively listens.

I need to know that you are engaged in discussion with me and are listening. I only know you are listening if you give me feedback in the way of comments and advice. Simply parrotting my words back to me, does not show me you are listening. It only shows me you are repeating what I am saying, but you are not actively engaging in it. Nodding your head and expressing emotions through facial expressions and the occaisional noise - does nothing for me except make me believe you are a polite imbecile who has nothing to say.

I, on the other hand, will always interrupt and offer advice. Just like I do on your blog. I do not try to minimize what the other person is saying, but listening non-stop for more than a few minutes causes me mental overload.

I want to make sure I understand what you are telling me, so I need to constantly get feedback.

Communication is a vital aspect of any relationship. If the communication is not good, then the relationship is going to have problems. Pretty much the same comment I made on my Reflections of a Marriage Course blog - that the cours ewas not so much about marriage as it was about communication.

Sofia and I have pretty good communication. Sofia has improved a lot by being more direct and blunt (I don't do hints). I just continue to be blunt and direct.

 
At 24 November, 2005 12:22, Blogger buzybee said...

Hi Richard, thanks for your constant feedback and comments... I hear you well. :)

Yes, I am also quite like you in term of needing feedback on what I say, so I know if people understand me correctly. I am very poor in catching 'riddles' and sarcasm and I don't use them on anyone. I feel people who like to be ambiguous all the time tend to be insincere in their communication... it's like providing themselves with a 'back door' to retrieve their statements when things are not in their favour. I prefer frankness in communication.

Glad to know that you and Sofia are communcating well. May you both have many more happy days ahead. :)

 
At 24 November, 2005 16:16, Blogger stuart said...

Quite true in what the book says GENERALLY. But I think there should not be any hard and fast rules to it since one man is different from another man (like Richard always say he is not a typical man), just like one woman is different from another woman. We need to read the book with caution.

Thank you for spending the time to read and share, Bee. =D

 
At 24 November, 2005 22:58, Blogger Richard said...

I second Stuart in reminding you that the book offers general guidelines and needs to be read with a grain of salt and caution. There is no formula to a successful relationship.

It is a more general thing: respect, commitment, communication.

John Gray is showing how men and women generally differ. But, since I believe in being true to yourself, what you really want is someone who accepts you as you are. Of course, you have to make some effort, but I think trying to contort yourself to fit somebody elses expectations won't make you happy.

It boils down to both people being comfortable with themselves and each other. Of course, communication is an essential aspect - most people's problems are due to communication.

An example of a communication breakdown between Sofia and myself: a few months before we were married, her brother was getting married. Sofia said to me: "It would be nice to go to his wedding." I agreed. A few weeks later Sofia was upset with me because I had not offered to buy her a plane ticket back to Peru so she could go to the wedding. To her, she had CLEARLY and OBVIOUSLY asked me to help her go to her brother's wedding. To me, it was clear that all she had done was express a sentiment, not a request.

 
At 25 November, 2005 14:30, Blogger buzybee said...

Hi Stuart, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Yes, I do read this book very cautiously because I don't agree wth certain things the author says. There are certain Christian principles that govern my life more than the natural.


Richard said: what you really want is someone who accepts you as you are.

Yes, love is accepting someone as he is just like my poem Love Me For Me But I would say that because of love, we have the tendency of wanting to 'improve' the person we love. Otherwise, we don't even bother. So the key is in having the wisdom to know what can be changed and what can't, and therefore accept him/her as is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home