Tuesday, November 29, 2005

My Mobile Phone

My current Nokia mobile phone is almost dead... it has lost it's ring tones since 2 weeks ago. A repair would cost me S$25 though its trade in value is only S$50. :( I missed a few sms and calls because I forgot to put it inside my pocket or next to me. Thank God its vibration function is still working though.

For a moment I was so happy just now, 'cos it rang when a 'wrong-number' call came in. I called my own number immediately and it rang too. But when I checked the tone Gallery, it went 'dead' again. *sigh*

I was shopping for a replacement phone yesterday at the M1 shop and I came across 2 affordable models, the Sony Ericsson Z520i and the Panasonic VS2. Each would cost S$98 for a 2-year contract plan. I have been eyeing the Sony Ericsson K750i since its first luanch in June 05, but it was too expensive then. The price has come down now to S$398 for a 2-year contract plan. All these phones come with the Christmas goodies promotion pack till this Friday.

I can't make up my mind which one to buy, though I would probably not go for the K750i... to save S$300. Wondering if any more new promotion would be coming after this.

One more concern is will I be able to import my phone data (phone book and other files) from the current Nokia phone to the new phone if they are of 2 different models? I managed to find a free software download for Oxygen Phone Manager II, at download.com. But unfortunately it is not compatible with Panasonic or Sony Ericsson models. :(

Hope to get some advice...

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 29 November, 2005 12:02, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Bee,

Just wondering, can you exisitng Nokia phone connect to your PC? If so, backing up of data shouldn't be a problem. If not, I doubt that there's any quick and easy solution to transfer data from one phone to another, even if it's of the same make.

Anyway, there are a few considerations for getting a new handphone.

(1) Functions. Often a phone will come with too many functions that a user would probably never touch. So think about what basic function you need in a phone first, before all things. Don't be enticed by PDA-phone if you don't really use your phone that often to organise your schedule.

(2) Manufacturers/Brands. This may be concern to some (definitely a concern of mine), as the hardware and software from the same brand would usually not change too much. However, the differences between one brand and another would usually be quite great that a user would typically go through a period of adjustment to suit to the phone. Frankly, for me, a phone have to suit me, and not the other way round. Hence, while it makes no economical sense at all for me to stick to one brand, I still kept to it for the abovementioned reason.

(3) Asthetics. Handphone is no longer just a tool like probably half a decade ago. Nowadays phone comes in all shapes and sizes, and some would appeal more to you than the other. Do give consideration to the asthetics of the phone, as one would usually be happier with a phone he/she thinks is more appealing, than one that is simply so-so.

(4) Cost. Handphone prices varies quite a bit, depending on when was the date of release. It's usually not advisable to get the newest phone on the market, for you'll be paying premium for a product that would probably have its price slashed to half, in less than half a year. So unless you're really rich or if there are more important reasons to get the newest phone, don't even bother considering about them, i.e. ignore the advertisments on TV!

Anyway, I think K750 is a great phone/camera. I'd tried out my friends for an extended period (2 days), and it's quite powerful. However, I didn't bother with it much ever since, and gotten myself a Motorola Razr V3 in September.

 
At 29 November, 2005 17:28, Blogger buzybee said...

Thanks for your comment, Adam.

Yes, I am using Nokia Suite to backup all my phone data on my PC. However, Nokia Suite is only meant for Nokia phone application.

Actually it would best if I buy another Nokia phone to save the hassle. But Nokia isn't having any good promotion now. Maybe I should wait for another Christmas sale.

 
At 01 December, 2005 14:22, Blogger buzybee said...

Hi Adam, just to let u know I have finally bought the K750i last night. Now playing with it. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home