Friday, December 30, 2005

My 2005

The year 2005 is coming to an end tomorrow. Some people might have been thinking about the resolutions they wish to make for 2006. What about a reflection on what they have achieved or missed in 2005 first?

For me, 2005 is the worst year in my life as an adult... I lost many things dear to me...
my career
my study
my loved ones
my self-esteem
my confidence

All these make me see how vulnerable and helpless I can be, though I might have been considered a very successful person before. I went through some darkest moments in my life marked by tears. The only thing that kept me going was my faith in Jesus Christ, my Lord. It was like a 'stripping process' to remove what's natural to me so I may know that my trust and hope shouldn't be in these things, but in God.

For the last two months, I have been spending time doing my devotion with God daily w/o fail... something I wasn't that consistent with in the past. I am learning to trust in God's unfailing love and care for me, and to know His plan in my life. It might be something totally different from what my natural mind could think of.

Now for the rest, my friends and readers, perhaps the following article might encourage you to reflect about your own life just as it has prompted me to reflect mine above....


Don't wait until I'm dead to bring me flowers
by Connie Ard

There is a cemetery on our way to church. I began to notice every Sunday a man visiting a grave. There is a bench near the grave that he visits and that's most often where I see him. Sometimes, he's picking weeds or laying flowers on the grave. One Sunday, my mind began to wander after I saw the man sitting there.

Who's buried there?
His wife perhaps?
Did she know while she was alive how much he loved her?
Did he spend so much time with her when she was alive?
Was he as devoted a husband then as he is now?
Did he bring her flowers to show he cared while she could enjoy them?

I had to resist the urge to tell my husband,"Don't wait until I'm dead to bring me flowers!" Dead people can't enjoy flowers.

They can't look at the beautiful colors or touch the soft petals.
They can't study the intricate way a rose folds together or the delicate curling of a lily.
They can't smell the wondrous smell of one of God's creations.
They can't enjoy the emotions of love with which the flowers were given or the joy with which they are received.

Have you told someone who means the world to you "I love you" recently?
Have you given them a hug or a kiss to remind them how much they are loved?
It doesn't take much to let someone know you love them. Let them know before it's too late.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 30 December, 2005 02:54, Blogger Elvina aka LaoNiang said...

Hey babe. I know how you feel as 2005 has been an equally challenging year for me.

Glad you found solace in Jesus. Love that story of yours too....

Love ya baby bee. *HUGS*

May all your dreams be fulfilled in 2006. The best is yet to come... :)

 
At 30 December, 2005 04:45, Blogger Richard said...

Hi Bee,

I am surprised to see all the things you listed as lost in 2005:

my career
my study
my loved ones
my self-esteem
my confidence


I came across your world when you wrote about not wanting to be born.

I think it was a low point in your self esteem. I have stuck around, commenting, offering advice, challenging you, sometimes being clumsy and awkward and a nuisance.

But, I am happy that I have persisted, because you have shown yourself to be a thoughtful and caring person.

I don't know all the details of your life, but I trust you when you tell me that it has been hard. And I am saddened to hear that.

We only know each other virtually and that will likely never change. But I enjoy to come here and to your other blogs, to share time with you in the only way I can.

It is always easy to say, "Pull yourself together and get on with it!" I know from my own experience that it is not. It takes time. If you want to be left alone, then I will leave you alone, if you want to talk my virtual ear off, well, then talk it off.

I can only tell that things will get better. Remember that Job was tested, remember that Abraham's faith was tested with Isaac.

I am proud to call you friend and pray that you will find peace, and love, and fulfillment.

 
At 30 December, 2005 22:29, Blogger Beth said...

Thanks Elvina. I hope you too have a better 2006 than the one before. I hope you find contentment in Jesus too. I am still learning... but getting better each day I guess. :)


Hey Richard, you are a true friend indeed... very rare! Thank you for your e-friendship too, for standing by me and showing your presence at my blog, to share and to encourage me so frequently. I am surprised that you have surpassed all my other long time e-friends. You have shown yourself to be not just a fair-weather friend though we might not agree in everything. Thanks!

The presence of loyal friends means so much to me, especially when I am in a reflective mood.... I can't control my tears from flowing even as I comment this, sorry. :'(

 
At 31 December, 2005 04:37, Blogger Richard said...

Thank you for your kind words Bee.

I've only had an e-presence in your life for the past 3 months or so - too little time to tell. Let's see if I shall still be around in 10 years.

Sometimes people part because of conflict, sometimes they part because of distance and time.

I am happy to have made new friends in the blog-o-sphere. I have to confess, I never imagined so many Singaporans spoke English.

 
At 31 December, 2005 17:23, Blogger buzybee said...

Oh, the new generation Singaporeans have got English as their first Language in education from as young as Nursery School. Compulsory education starts in Primary One. :)

I'll be very happy if your presence is still felt here at the end of 2006... no need to wait for 10 years. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home