Sunday, April 09, 2006

Finding the Strength to Go On

I have been very busy lately and always feeling very tired at the end of the day after my work. But I must say I enjoy the work I am doing now, which gives me lots of opportunities to catch up with old friends, ex-colleagues, ex-coursemates, and even strangers from all walks of life. It's a great change from my previous jobs and I like the challenge.

Being so tired really leaves me no time to think too much about myself or miss anyone like I used to. Other than thinking of God during my devotion time, I only thought of my work (someone calls that workaholic). But I still pray daily for those who are close to my heart and those whom I promised to pray for before I sleep and just before I get out of bed the next day.

I generally feel great. Yet last night I just suddenly felt like crying... I felt something missing.

Two days ago, I was sharing with a friend about the the Book of Lamentations (in the Bible), and today's Sunday Service message was about it too... how timely! The message title was, "Finding the Strength to Go On". It's a good message based on the principles found in Lamentations. In this book the prophet, Jeremiah, expressed all his emotions in his time of crisis (Lam 3:47-49).

Emotions are given by God and there is nothing wrong with having them. But how we handle them is important. What should we do in time of crisis, when we are emotionally in distress, feeling hopeless or hurtful?
1. We should focus on God, not on ourselves or the problems (Lam 3:28-29).

2. Ask God to remove our fear (Lam 3:55-57):
  • The antidote to fear is truth, perfect love, and faith. They are all found in God.
3. Believe God will restore us (Lam 5:21):
  • don't repress our grief... pour it onto God
  • dont't resign from life... stay positive
  • don't retreat into resentment... forgive
  • accept what we can't change... let it go
  • focus on what's left... not on what's lost
  • list our gratitudes... things to thank for
4.Remember what never change:
  • God is in control... we can only control our responses (Lam 5:17-19)
  • God still loves us... He will never stop loving though people do (Lam 3:22-23)
  • God is all we need... He works all things together for our good

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 10 April, 2006 00:26, Blogger G said...

Good sharing, thank you =)

 
At 10 April, 2006 09:48, Blogger buzybee said...

welcome... hope it has helped u in some way. :)

 
At 10 April, 2006 21:20, Blogger Richard said...

Don’t worry Bee, you are not the only one who felt like that last night. So did I.

Perhaps it is because Holy Week is upon us - always a heartrending period during my faith journey. The initial joy of the procession of the palms is quickly replaced by the sorrow of the Passion. Good Friday is always a difficult day for me.

So have you found another job to keep you busy? I find work more burden than joy. As I always say, “Work causes us to miss the nice things in life.” On the other hand, perhaps it is because it is a labour rather than a vocation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home