Friday, August 25, 2006

Forgiveness ABCs

What Forgiveness Isn't
6 myths that may be keeping you from letting go.
by Denise George

Forgiveness ABCs

Acknowledge the hurt. When someone deliberately hurts you, don't try to diminish the pain and its effect on you. Acknowledge your suffering—and express it aloud to God. Scripture promises: "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit" (Psalm 34:18), and "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds" (Psalm 147:3).

Blame the offender. If a person hurts you by mistake, she didn't mean to inflict pain, so she needs no forgiveness. But if a person intentionally hurts you, then the pain she caused was deliberate. Say aloud: "I personally blame you, (name of offender), because you hurt me on purpose." Correctly placing the blame readies you to begin the forgiveness process.

Cancel the debt. You've acknowledged the hurt and rightly blamed the offender. Now you're ready to make the willful decision to "cancel the debt" your offender owes you. Find a quiet place to be alone and ask the Lord's help in forgiving the person who hurt you. You might pray the "Lord's Prayer" (Matthew 6:9-13) and meditate on verse 12: "Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors." After you've prayed and while you're still alone, speak aloud your decision to forgive: "(Name of offender), I've chosen to forgive you for hurting me; I've decided to cancel the debt you owe me." You've now embarked on the process of forgiving the person who hurt you. —D.G

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 27 August, 2006 00:57, Blogger Richard said...

I am not sure I am crazy about the blame part. The main problem I have with it is that people are quick to blame external factors or other people for their problems and hurts.

I would prefer to substitute "correctly identify the source of the pain" for "blame the offender".

For me, blame has an negative and active component that implies hostility towards the other person.

 
At 28 August, 2006 13:31, Blogger G said...

hmm quite agree with Mister Richard =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home