Saturday, November 20, 2004

My Dormant Passion: Gardening

Talking about plants excites me and it churns out my dormant passion/hobby in gardening again. :) The business and stress of making a living has somehow taken away all my time from nurturing this passion. :(

I have learnt many things about the human life through associating it with plant life. How we should treat/handle plants to make them grow well has a parallel in how we should treat/handle relationship with people to make it blossom.

My house plants were once my greatest companions... we enjoyed each other's company very much. I would stop at any plant nursery or shop if I happened to come across them and would buy accessories, plant food, new plants, etc. Plants delight me (still do)... I like greenery, freshness, life, nature. I hope to retire in a house with a nice garden. ;p

I like the interesting lessons by Gardener's Path, which highlighted many good learning points about plants and human relationship. Below are the excerpts of it and my personal reflections:



Lesson 1: They're Alive!

....Plants appreciate attention just like any other living thing.

....try to think like a plant...

....basic things, like companionship. The little plant might be a bit lonely, or scared, after the rather traumatic ride home...You are allowed to touch it and pet its leaves if you want.

....Talk to it and reassure it that things will be fine...

...many people are under the mistaken impression that plants will grow anywhere. Not true.... Plants have their preferences, too, and it is up to you to find out about your new friend and make things right.

A final note: recent science has shown that the DNA of humans isn't terriblly different from that of the mustard plant. Deep inside us, at our evolutionary core, we share some basic building blocks with plants. Take a good look at yourself, imagine you are the plant, and ask yourself what you need. The answers become obvious.

My Thoughts:
Yes, agree. I feel like a plant too. What the plant needs I need too. I need love and care to thrive, just like the plant does.


Lesson 2: Water!

....All plants need water. Some need just a very little bit every so often. Some need a drink once a week. Some want water every day. Some plants even live in ponds, taking in water continuously.

....each plant has different tastes...

....you must water the plant on a regular basis...

To water properly... pay attention to your plant and it will tell you what it needs. Look at your plant. Really look at it. Does it look healthy and happy? Things are probably fine. Does it look like it is drooping, or becoming parched? Does it look thirsty? Water it.

Think like a plant! Pay attention to what you do, and how it responds

My Thoughts:
True, I need you to 'pay attention' to my needs and responses if you hope that our relationship to flourish. Give the right amount of 'water' regularly... my preference... I am unique!


Lesson 3: Dirt!

....they live in the dirt...

Just as plants like different amounts of sun and water, the type of dirt they like is also a personal preference...

My Thoughts:
Hmmn, 'dirt' is a needed ingredient for growth. We all also have collected lots of 'dirt' too from birth till now. They are a necessary 'evil' I guess.


Lesson 4: Light!

....some plants that look like they might be great out in the hot sun actually prefer shade, and vice versa...

Try putting the plant in a place that is part sun and part shade. How does it do? During the sunny times of day, does it looked thrilled? Does it perk up when the shady time occur? Pay attention, and then adjust the location of your plant until it seems most happy.

In summary, plants like light. Some like it a lot, some like it a little, and it is up to you to find out how much light your plant wants if you want to succeed in gardening.

My Thoughts:
Again, it's up to you to find out how to balance between too much and too little 'light' based on preference. Tough job huh! No choice lei. This is what makes relationship interesting and challenging I guess.


Lesson 5: Experiment

The next skill to master is that of improvisation. Yes, this means relaxing and going with the flow...

Some plants love to be cut from time to time. You can do a Trim Test, and see if your plant likes to be cut back. Start by cutting or pinching the end of a single stem or branch. Watch what happens. Does it die? Then stop doing it. Does it heal, and split into more branches and start to grow back? If so, you might be able to encourage your plant to grow even bigger by cutting it back, as strange as it might seem. Plants can be hardy that way.

Does your plant look crowded in its little container? Has it been there a long time? Transplant it into something bigger and see if it improves.

My Thoughts:
Wow! This is a nice tip... didn't know about this before. 'Improvisation' is needed for relationship building as well. If not, things might become quite stale. Then again, care is needed in order not to go overboard. So be natural and 'watch' for responses again.


Lesson 6: Rescues

A plant in need is a plant indeed. If it weren't for you, this plant would wither and die. But you've come along. And you know of a spot that this plant could inhabit at your home, and you plan on giving it sun, water, and maybe some new dirt.

Yes, be on the lookout for the castaway plant. When you find one, adopt it as your own and do your best to rejuvenate it. If the plant begins to survive, you have got a friend for life.

Go ahead and reach out. Accept plants into your life when they come along, whether you find them in the street, or are given them by a friend. It is a win-win situation for you and the plant.

My Thoughts:
Hmmn, didn't thought of applying this to plants before though I did apply it to human life. Very good advice indeed! Some people are the sparks in our life without whom we might feel dull or lost.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home