Saturday, December 10, 2005

Three Words



When the Best Advice Is No Advice (From Daily Encounter)

"Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep" (Romans 12:15).

"sometimes the best 'advice' to give to hurting people is not to give any advice but to 'weep with those who weep' and let them know that we care and that we love them.

"I did this for a family member last night who was hurting real bad ... I just held him while he (a young adult) sobbed and sobbed in my arms. After his pain subsided, we prayed together and I assured him that I loved him. He was dealing with some major childhood hurts he had never resolved as well as the recent loss of his girlfriend.

"Life surely can have its painful times. Do remember however, that when Jesus grieved, he wept too."




My Thoughts:

The above article caught my attention as I tend to give advice naturally. I seem to be able to supply practical solutions most time to people in despair. Yet there is one situation where I will become tongue-tight...

I always find it hard to say anything when someone cries... I feel lost... I can only cry along and pray silently. I feel that nothing I say will ever make the person's pain any lesser.

When I cry, no words can soothe my pain too except 3 words. These 3 words instantly take away my pain, even if it's just for that moment. These 3 words mean a lot to me when said in sincerity as I have never heard these 3 words in my childhood days before. I have heard these 3 words as an adult, but I guess I will not hear it again...

What are these 3 words?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 10 December, 2005 02:44, Blogger Richard said...

Dealing with people in emotional distress is difficult. I am often at a loss on how to deal with them.

When people are sorrowful, it hurts me - even if I don't know them.

When I hurt, I withdraw. I really don't want anybody near me. So words will not help me ... but, still, somehow, I still need to know that people are there.

If a person can pick up on my pain, then I feel better - since I did not have to tell them. This has only happened once in my life (as far as I can remember).

I don't know what those 3 words are for you.

"I love you" is the obvious choice, but you are teasing us with a riddle, so I am not so sure ;-)

 
At 10 December, 2005 18:15, Blogger buzybee said...

Richard said: "you are teasing us with a riddle, so I am not so sure ;-)"

hehehe... not intended to tease nor is that a "riddle"... but teased you felt indeed.

The clue is in "I guess I will not hear it again..."

 
At 11 December, 2005 03:12, Blogger Ken Loh said...

The 3 words are "I love you"?

 
At 12 December, 2005 14:29, Blogger buzybee said...

Hmn... for the person who says it to find out. ;-)

 
At 12 December, 2005 17:13, Blogger Mockingbird said...

When someone is grieving, the best thing we can do for that person, is offer them our presence, rather than our words. No amount of verbal solace and comfort a soul that is hurting and grieving over the loss of a loved one. They need time to get over such stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home