Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Ask, Seek, Knock

Persistence Pays

"It is God himself, in his mercy, who has given us this wonderful work [of telling his Good News to others], and so we never give up" (2 Corinthians 4:1, TLB).

Author John Toland who received the Pulitzer Prize for his book, The Rising Sun, is another person who knows the power of persistence. Even though he now has an imposing record of successes, he had an even more impressive record of failures as a writer.

From the time he started writing he wrote six novels and 25 plays—none of which were published!

Undeterred, he kept diligently writing for 20-some years before he tasted success. He went on to write such best-sellers as Adolph Hitler, The Last 100 Days, Battle: The Story of the Bulge, and But Not in Shame.

"If you wait for perfect conditions," advised King Solomon, "you will never get anything done. Keep on sowing your seed, for you never know which will grow—perhaps it all will."(Ecclesiastes 11:4,6).



My Reflection

The above article reminds me of the bible verses I quoted for someone recently to show the meaning of "persistence":
A Friend Comes at Midnight :
8 I say to you, though he will not rise and give to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him as many as he needs.

Keep Asking, Seeking, Knocking:
9 “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.
( Luke 11:5-13, Matthew 7:7-8)

I am surprised he really apply the verses above and keep asking/requesting for the same thing from me. I wonder how long he can persist.... ;)

One thing to take note is we must not ask for the wrong things, for...
When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.
(James 4:3)

I noticed that most guys are quite proud to seek help or ask for direction when they got lost (tell me if you are not). They rather get lost and waste time finding their own solution than to get instant help by asking. Right, guys?

For me, I am quite persistent in most things I do if I believe in them. When I am stuck I have no problem asking for help... nothing to be ashamed to acknowledge my limitation and in need of help.

Yes, ask and it will be given, seek and I will find, knock and it will be opened to me. :)

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 23 February, 2006 06:31, Blogger Richard said...

Thanks for the Ecclesiastes quote, it may yet encourage me to sow and see if I reap, rather than just standing and watching the weather (this is typical self help advice - just do it).

I ask for directions if I do not know were I am and I have no resource (usually a map) to assist me.

 
At 23 February, 2006 15:33, Blogger buzybee said...

welcome. :)

as usual... u are a non-typical guy. :P

 
At 03 March, 2006 05:31, Blogger stuart said...

Hmmn.... do I qualify as being persistent too? :P

 
At 03 March, 2006 12:26, Blogger buzybee said...

hehe... u r VERY! :) Unfortunately you have meet your match. :P

 
At 04 March, 2006 00:13, Blogger stuart said...

oh, fortunately so. That's very challenging and I like that. =P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home