Sunday, January 28, 2007

My Cough Remedies

My cough that started since last Dec 23th did not fully recover. I suspect that my mild asthmatic condition is resurfacing after my last long cough episode in 2002 (with chronic cough for about 6 months). All medications failed till someone shared a homemade cough recipe with me. It was a concoction by brewing ginger, spring onion, red dates, honey, plus 2 other items (forgotten what they were) together. I took it 3 times a day for about 2 or 3 days and my cough stopped. I seldom cough after that till recently.

For the last few days I have been taking homemade ginger tea. I chopped fresh ginger and boiled it in a mug of water in the microwave for about 2 min. When it boiled I just added a tea bag and a tablespoonful of honey to it. That made a nice but spicy drink for me. I drank that 3 times a day for the last 3 days. I saw some improvement... I only cough once in a while, though not 100% cured.

My internet search shows some useful information about onions and gingers relating to cough showing them as good natural remedies.
Onions& Spring Onions for Respiratory Disease
Onion is said to possess expectorant properties. It liquifies phlegm and prevents its further formation. It has been used as a food remedy for centuries in cold, cough, bronchitis and influenza. Equal amounts of onion juice and honey should be mixed and three to four teaspoon of this mixture should be taken daily in these conditions. It is one of the safest preventive medicine against common cold during winter.

Other useful links below...

CHINESE MEDICAL RECIPE

Pork with Lotus Seeds and Lily Bulb in Soup

Influenza is present in all four seasons and is especially common in Spring and Autumn

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 29 January, 2007 05:44, Blogger Richard said...

Onion is supposed to be good for cough. A recipe my mother used to make (though I did not take it) was to slice onions, sprinkle them with sugar and let the mixture sit in a jar for a day ro two (in the fridge). Then you would decant the liquid and take 1 or 2 tablespoons of it to help with your cough.

It is quite sweet, but I never cared much for it.

On the other hand, I have discovered that when it comes to home remedies (or any remedies for that matter), experiment until you find something that works, because what works for me, may not work for you.

Glad to hear you are feeling so much better.

 
At 30 January, 2007 00:10, Blogger buzybee said...

thanks for dropping by :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home